12.15.2008

Gears of War 2 Review (Xbox 360)



Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 9/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Multiplayer - 9/10
Story - 10/10
Overall - 9.5/10

Ok so I figured my first review should be on a really great game - Gears of War 2.

When I first played the original Gears game, I was amazed. It was a game that was breathtaking with its graphics and gameplay. The storyline was like watching an action movie, and the best part was that I controlled it all. I replayed the campaign several times and even with Gears 2 out I occasionally replay a chapter or two.

Gears of War 2 is no different from the first. Now I don't mean that it's the same game rehashed, but I was once again amazed at the gameplay. The storyline, while only being about 9-10 hours, still feels like I'm in the middle of a theater watching the newest action movie. It's that intense.There are great plot twists and many events that I never expected, such as one of your fellow soldiers being tortured to the point that he takes his own life.

The games control scheme is great, reloading is easy and switching weapons on the fly is a snap. It's not like other games where I'm not sure which weapon I'll switch to next. I can go from my pistol to sniper rifle to pistol again. Or I can go from pistol to grenades, then shotgun. I think this is much better than some other games "cycling weapons."

The graphics, as always, are intense and gorgeous. Despite advances in technology, sometimes you'll still play a game where there are great graphics for cutscenes, and when play begins you are left with tearing, choppy graphics. Gears isn't like that. The graphics are wonderful all around, and there are times when I didn't even realize the game had switched over to a cutscene. Now I realize that the game is on the Xbox360, and you are supposed to be able to add your own music. I also know that with the way the story goes in-game music may be a little out of place. But how about an option to have some really fired-up rock playing in the background? Try playing this game while listening to "Down With the Sickness," you'll see what I mean.

Last but not least, the multiplayer is much better this time around. Each team can now support 5 players, and that makes for longer games and more teamwork. The only downside is that some people "flame" too much. Literally. The flamethrower is more aggrevating than anything else. Some days I've quit just because of an annoying player that just couldn't bear to use actual bullets. Besides that, multiplayer is a great experience.

Overall, Gears of War 2 is a great game, and although the story has left me with more questions than answers, this just assures me that Gears 3 will be even better. If you love shooters of any sort, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Gears 2.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this game is great. If it weren't for the matchmaking issues, it would be, in my opinion, near perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I give single player mode a perfect 10, but multiplayer is where the real 9's come in at.

    ReplyDelete